How To Perform A Windows Password Reset?
Many a times it so happens that the password which you had set for protecting your machine actually turns into an obstacle when you forget it and then try to retrieve the forgotten windows password. Most of the people are not familiar with the procedure for resetting windows password in that case and that is what we would be discussing about in today’s article. We would be highlighting the exact procedure which would help you in doing so.
- You need to restart your computer and select the "Repair your computer" option which appears at the lower bottom during the restart process
2. You have to continue with the repair process till you are on the screen where you can get the Command Prompt option which is the one which you should be selecting
3. Now you would have to type a few commands in the command prompt which we would be detailing below:
copy c:windowssystem32sethc.exe c:
This would help you in taking a backup of the original file before over-writing it.
copy c:windowssystem32cmd.exe c:windowssystem32sethc.exe
After typing this command you would be asked to confirm the command and you have to type "Yes" and press enter.
4. You would have to again reboot the PC after this step.
5. After restarting the PC you have to wait till the password screen appears and when it does, you have to repeatedly press the shift key for 5 times. This would again trigger a command prompt on that screen.
6. In the command prompt window, you have to type the command which we would be mentioning below but after changing the username with the one which you have on your computer and the password which you need to set now
net user Username MyNewPassword
After entering this command your new password would be set and now you can enter that new password in the password field and login to your windows desktop.
So, instead of trying for hours to remember your old windows password, you need to follow this procedure when you have forgotten your windows password as this procedure would hardly take you a couple of minutes and after that you would be able to access your computer quite easily and again change the password from the control panel option or remove it altogether as well to make sure that you do not face the same problem again.